Monday, June 20, 2011

The date is set....

Rick and I met with Dr. Ross on Thursday. We talked for a little while and all of us agreed it was definitely time to move forward with a hysterectomy. We are moving forward and it will be a total hysterectomy; I'm gonna have a big empty hole. Oh well, totally worth it!!

August 29th!!! I am actually really looking forward to this surgery. I can not wait to be pain free for the first time in years. After discussing options with my doctor we have decided that I will have the procedure done by davinci robot assistance. This machine is AWESOME!!! My doctor will make 5 very small incisions and insert thin robot type hands. She will then control the "arms" and do the surgery. It makes it less invasive and easier for her to move around. I would not be a candidate for any other type. I would require a 6 to 8 inch cut if this machine didn't exist. I am so excited!

I will stay overnight in the hospital, then go home on Tuesday and will not be able to drive for a week. Then I can not do any lifting for 2 weeks or more. Dr. Ross thinks I will be back at work the following week without a problem. Especially since I work an office job, she doesn't expect my recovery to take very long at all. There are not words to tell describe how glad I am.

This has been a many year battle and I am so ready to be done with. Rick and I are both looking forward to me enjoying a pain free life...

I will start hormone replacement about 6 weeks after the surgery. This comes with some ups and downs. You have to try different types, doses, etc... Find what works for you, no one is the same. That will be an interesting process, thankfully Dr. Ross will guide us through the whole process. She values Rick's input too when it comes to my hormones.

Biggest drawback!! Well I'll be menopausal, YUK!!! At this time I already struggle with a vitamin D deficiency. Obviously this will need to be watched very carefully and I will start having bone density screenings in about a year. Even so I am still really glad this is being done.

Want to see a little more on davinci surgery...
http://www.davincisurgery.com/gynecology/

2 comments:

  1. Rachael,

    We'll be praying for you through the journey. I'm glad to see that you are looking forward to the relief and that it will be a quick recovery. I have nothing but good things to say about the DaVinci Robot. The Urologist that I used to work for was one of the doctors responsible for bring the DaVinci to Shands. I have seen it help so many people and have even gotten to "test drive" it!

    Let us know if you need anything.

    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael … I know that there will be LOTS of anxiety leading up to August 29th HOWEVER know that there are so many people lifting your name in prayer and that those prayers will continue to be lifted for you and your family during this journey. I know you are looking forward to the relief that this will bring!

    Love YOU!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete