Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Father's Day... Again...

Yes, Father's Day is a great holiday. I am all for celebrating Dad's. I love the fact that I get to celebrate my husband being the father of my son. It's a great day, but it's also very sad...

I was so very fortunate in life to have had my daddy, John. He was the best dad! He loved me, took care of me, cared for me. Sadly on January 1st 2009, my daddy left this world. He left the pain and suffering he was feeling, but it left me with pain and suffering...

I wrote this letter to help with my closure. I read at my daddy's memorial service, one of the hardest things I have ever done. It's helps every once in awhile to read to help me cope with his loss.

To my Daddy, 

I want to thank you for raising me, caring for me, comforting me and loving me. Thank you for being kind and strong, thank you for being strong for me when I needed you. There were so many times in my life that I needed you and there you were with love, encouragement, kind words and advice. 

Though you are gone physically you will never leave my heart and you will forever be a part of my life. Through me you will forever be a part of my child’s as well. I am proud and grateful to have had you in our lives. I thank God everyday you were with me when Ricky came into our lives. I am so thankful you were able to spend time with him. 

I work everyday to not let myself be angry and frustrated over your loss. Instead, I try to remember the days when I was young and you were my hero. I see you in my dreams there we dance, hunt Easter eggs and I sit on your lap and laugh. In my dreams you are always healthy and strong, this is how I choose to remember you. In time, I hope to embrace your freedom from the pain and freedom from the weight of your illness. My sorrow is inevitable, but I will face it because that is what you would expect from me. 

I love you Daddy and miss you. 

Always your daughter, Rachael Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment